Tuesday, May 10, 2005

parents and sushi and dreams ... oh my!

parents

Last week my parents came to visit. We had a good time. On Tuesday we went to the Lake District, Wednesday we went to London (and Dad even came with us!), and Thursday we hung out and saw the "sights" in Lancaster (including my personal favorite, the ruins of the Roman bath-house). All in all, we had a good time. But it only took 3 days for them to start getting on my nerves. I'm starting to get worried about going home in June. I might have to take refuge at Wendy's house for a while.

sushi

I'm trying to get back to real life now. Today I've been working on tagging my James and Lily info, preparatory to crunching it through lots of computer programs to try and find something interesting to write about in a dissertation. I really should probably be reading, but this is both easier and rather more fun. Plus, I can take my reading with me on the trains more easily when I go travelling, such as this weekend, when I'll be going to Huddersfield to see a production of "The Yeomen of the Guard" (a Gilbert and Sullivan operetta).

Yesterday I helped out a friend from the Linguistics Department. Katsura's doing her dissertation in sociolinguistics, and she needed some native English speakers to get together and talk about stuff. She's from Japan, and when we were finished, she fed us all some home-made sushi. It was the first sushi I've ever had, and it was quite nice. I don't know that I'd make it myself, but it was better than I had expected. That might be because it was California Rolls, and there wasn't a whole lotta raw fish in it.

dreams

My dissertation is already starting to get to me, apparently. Sometime during the night I had a dream, which I only vaguely remember, about Harry Potter. This has only happened to me on a few rare occasions. And this dream wasn't really about Harry, it was about James. I don't remember most of it, but I do recall that it had something to do with James being evil, and I found that highly disturbing. It seems like he had something to do with Lily's betrayal and death, and it really gave me the colly-wobbles. I suspect it was triggered by my thinking about the quote where JK said that James did not switch bodies with Lupin before being killed, because "James would never have saved himself and then left his wife and son to die." The dream woke me up briefly, probably because of the colly-wobbles I was getting from thinking about James being evil, and then I went back to sleep again and dreamt about something else. I hope I can last a whole summer like this.

He was her man, but he was doin' her wrong. (23 points)

3 comments:

Paul P said...

James, evil? That would be more of a betrayal than killing another main character!

KatrinaW said...

I know! You can see why I was so disturbed about it, huh?

Anonymous said...

Sis- I am glad your first sushi experience was decent... California Roll is really the only thing I like remotely like sushi. Did you have hot wasabi, soy sauce and pickled ginger to go with it? One of our housekeepers is from Korea and occasionally makes me fresh Cali rolls! We may have to visit Tepanyaki in Layton or Sato's in I.F. upon your return.

-KIP