Monday, April 3, 2006

feeling good

So life has been quite happy today. Katie Bills is here to visit, and that always makes me happy. My British Lit professor actually liked one of my response papers and asked me to discuss it with the class. We had "homemade" Boboli pizzas for dinner. I got to chat with Christina, which was wonderful -- I don't get to talk to her a whole lot anymore, and the conversation was fabulous. We had apple-and-blackcurrant flavored squash (a British specialty) with dinner. General Conference was, of course, marvelous and inspiring, and I'm still feeling the effects of that. I found the courage to quote C. S. Lewis, the Doctrine and Covenants, and the Book of Mormon in today's response paper (about Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde). We're having bruschetta later on. We got to have M&Ms and ice cream, which Erin bought for us. I got a letter outlining all the financial aid that has been approved for me for summer classes. I registered for my classes for summer and fall semesters, and I got into all the classes I want/need -- with the small exception of one, which claimed that I needed special departmental consent, and I'm getting that worked out with the department head. I found out that I have a federal Work Study grant for the summer, which means I should have little trouble getting a job on campus during the summer. I have NO (count 'em, NO!) evening classes in the fall (although both of my summer classes are evening, are they are l-o-o-ong). I'm sure there are plenty of other things to add to the list, but this is good enough to give you all an idea of how happy I am about life right now.

The last quote was from The Scarlet Pimpernel, the 1934 Leslie Howard version ... and I must say I'm rather disappointed that no one got it. *sigh* Oh well. Here's another from a fantabulous movie.

I think it's only fair that any further instructions or explanations be given on your bathroom time, not mine. (245 points, just because it's such a great movie, and if you know it, you deserve super points)

3 comments:

KatrinaW said...

Oh. Ah ... well, yes. Yes, it is from that. Although that wasn't actually what I was going for. Full points, though.

And ... I can't figure out what in the world IRRC stands for (you know, Emily is always much more abbreviation-savvy than I am). I tried googling it, but nothing sounded plausible:
-Issue, Repair and Requisition Restriction Code
-Irrigated Rice Research Consortium
-Independent Regulatory Review Commission
-Intelligent Robotics Research Centre

And my personal favorite ...
-Idaho Rangeland Resource Commission

Like I said, though, none of these seems plausible to me in this context. I'd appreciate it if anyone could explain this one for me.

Anonymous said...

That would be from Walk, Don't Run! I love that movie. Ah, Cary Grant!

And I realized that I should have recognized your last quote, having just recently read the book and watched 2 different versions of that film. See, what did I tell you? Even if I have seen the movie, we seldom find the same quotes worthy of remembrance. Alas... It's a curse, as far as the point system goes.

Kimberly

elliespen said...

Ah, wouldn't you know it, just about the only Cary Grant movie I haven't seen... And I must hang my head in shame and admit that I have not seen the Leslie Howard version of the Scarlet Pimpernel EVER. Not once. Although I did record it off TCM a while back -- I was out for the evening and promptly forgot that I'd recorded it until I found it in the back of the movie pile a couple of days ago. But I haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

Tell Katie Bills-Short-For-Williams hello for me!