Wednesday, September 27, 2006

with apologies

So I realize it's been ages since I posted anything. Hopefully the last post explains some of that. I flew to Idaho to be with my family and attend the funeral of my oldest sister, Laraine, and was gone about 10 days for that. I'm doing all right about it, myself; I'm more worried about a few of the other family members. And I certainly don't evny my parents, who have to battle the legal issues (Laraine was killed in a car accident, and she left no will behind, including no power of attorney or anything), nor her daughter, who's in the hospital with a severed spinal cord and is paralyzed from the waist down. I certainly have much less to deal with, even though it all adds up to significantly more than I'm used to.

The day after Laraine's death, I was sustained and set apart as the Relief Society President in our student ward down here. That's been keeping me pretty busy these days. It's been great, though, and in many ways I'm very excited about the calling.

School is also quite time-consuming. I find myself just barely keeping my head above water, both with the classes that I teach and those that I take.

I recently joined Netflix, which I'm very excited about. I think when my roommates move (in December) and I'm in my own apartment, I might forego cable and just keep myself entertained with Netflix movies. They have a huge variety of DVDs to rent, including movies, TV shows, and documentaries. The first one that's coming in the mail for me is Jeeves and Wooster, so we'll be watching that this weekend. You're allowed to have up to 500 movies in your queue, and I already have 375 waiting for me. I'll keep you abreast of how things go.

The last quote (from before Laraine's obituary) is from the writings of Paul the Apostle, Romans 8:31.
Well! If that isn't the best I ever heard!

(This is a bit difficult to get without the following line, but that will give it away pretty easily. So, since it's a fairly general quote that might come from just about anywhere, I'll give 78 points for anyone who gets the source I have in mind, plus an extra 10 for the appropriate following line.)

2 comments:

elliespen said...

First off, I want to tell you how sorry I am for you. Lots of love is being sent your way from Midvale.

Enjoy your Jeeves and Wooster! They've been showing that off and on on PBS here for the last few months, which has been fun. I've always liked those shows, which made it really hard for me to ever take "House" seriously. Honestly, Bertie's not smart enough to be a doctor!

"Thank you! Can I have a drink of water?"

Although I prefer the preceding line: "I know all about your standards, and if you don't mind my saying so, there's not a man alive who can hope to measure up to that mix of Paul Bunyan, Sain Pat and Noah Webster you've concocted for yourself out of your Irish imagination, your Iowa stubbornness and your library full of books."

And if that's not the source you were thinking of, you must have been remembering wrong. :)

Anonymous said...

Katrina,

This is the first we've heard about your sister since your first post. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this difficult, horrible time.

If there is anything we can do, please let us know.

-Christina and Paul Pehrson