Wednesday, August 16, 2006

stuffs

Gacked from susygwen on LJ




Instructions:
1. Grab the nearest book.
2. Open the book to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the text of the next 4 sentences on your LJ along with these instructions.
5. Don’t you dare dig for that "cool" or "intellectual" book in your closet! I know you were thinking about it! Just pick up whatever is closest.
6. Tag five people.


"And when Mother and Father had announced to them that they were leaving the city to move to North Carolina, of all places, Valentine knew that they never expected to see Ender again. They were leaving the only place where he knew to find them. How would Ender find them here, among these trees, under this changeable and heavy sky? He had lived deep in corridors all his life, and if he was still in the Battle School, there was less of nature there."

That's right -- Ender's Game was the closest book for me tonight.

So You Think You Can Dance


Just one more quick note -- if you take a look at the sidebar, you will see that I'm currently watching the finale of "So You Think You Can Dance". I would like to comment about this a little. When I first watched a few episodes of "Dance" earlier this summer, I thought it looked pretty stupid. I didn't see how it could possibly become as popular as "American Idol" -- I just didn't see America clamoring for dancers. Frankly, I still think that could be a problem; I really don't think there's a very strong ... well, market for professional dance in America these days. But, I have to admit, watching the finale and the last episode before that, I have been very impressed. I think what has made both these shows -- "Dance" and "Idol" -- so successful is that they have focused on one particular talent and, bringing in experts who have worked extensively in that industry, they have trained their performers as they go, preparing them for an actual career with that talent. That makes the performers, in the end, much more performance-ready than shows like "Star Search" ever did. And, I'm really glad that Benji won; he's an excellent dancer, and he has a great stage presence too. I would be happy to watch him dance pretty much any time.

Ah ... "The opportunity to lecture [has] restored my good humour," as Amelia would say. :) Now I can go. I'm trying to decide between going to bed early and reading more of Ender's Game or watching The Third Man on TCM (it's Joseph Cotten day), going to bed later, and reading less of Ender. I'll probably do the former, but I sure do love The Third Man.

Quote


The last one was from "Here It Goes Again" by Ok Go, as Erin said. Sometime very soon I'll write all about how much I love this band, who I've only just discovered, thanks to my wonderful friends Kimberly and Erin. (Thanks, guys!) But not today.

Man: We do a little show each week. Last week we did Hamlet, and the week before that we had something ...

Sergeant: Striptease, sir.

Man: Yes, Hindu dancers, thank you, Sergeant.

(122 points)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Writers need to give the reader an overall view of the book before they walk the reader through the process. Then it is easier for the reader to understand the principles, some of which may be entirely new to the layman and difficult to comprehend without a professional degree. And writers need to be sure that readers continue to understand the relationships between consecutive chapters in the book and between sections in the book. Often writers forget to make these relationships obvious to the reader.


---

That was Janet Hoover Thoma's essay "Editing for the Christian Marketplace" which is on page 123 of the book "Editors on Editing: What writers need to know about what editors do", edited by Gerald Gross.


Sorry it wasn't more interesting. That was