Thursday, March 1, 2007

what do you podcast?

The other day, Paul posted an entry about podcasting, and I found it really interesting. So I decided that, instead of leaving a comment, I would post about the same thing over here. In the rest of the world, this would be a trackback, but Blogger doesn't support trackbacks, and I haven't tried the HaloScan software yet ... another day, maybe.

Anyway, here are the podcasts I subscribe to (font styles and symbols explained below):
Audio only -
  • 12 Byzantine Rulers: The History of the Byzantine Empire
  • British History 101
  • C2 Uchafbwyntiau'r Wythnos (BBC's Welsh-language radio station)*
  • Frankenstein, or the Modern Prometheus
  • Great Moments in History*
  • IndieFeed: Alternative/Modern Rock Music*
  • Legal Lad's QnD Tips for a More Lawful Life
  • Matt's Today in History*
  • Money Girl's QnD Tips for a Richer Life
  • Mr. Manners' QnD Tips for a More Polite Life
  • Muse-Podcast (in German, by Alexandra Pilz)
  • New BYU Speeches
  • Pandora Podcast Series
  • The Essays of Ralph Waldo Emerson Podcast*
  • The Radio Adventures of Dr. Floyd
  • The Sean Hannity Show Podcast
Video podcasts -
  • Art History in Just a Minute
  • Ask MUSE - MUSE answers fan questions (actually, there's an audio-only feed and a video feed, but I prefer to watch)
  • FOX News Flash
  • What Not to Wear: Trends
And here's the explanation: an asterisked (*) show is one that I have only recently begun subscribing to, and I'm not sure whether I'll keep listening to it; bold shows are my favorites; those in italics are the ones I rarely listen to. I'm not as podcast-centric as Paul apparently is -- I still definitely listen to more music on my iPod -- but I do love some of these. I can't wait for the next episode of "Art History in Just a Minute," which is hosted by this guy from "down under" (I'm not sure whether it's Australia or New Zealand), and it's really fun; the host on "12 Byzantine Rulers" is just amazing, in my opinion; "British History 101," while somewhat stiffer than "12 Byzantine Rulers," includes great detail and thorough research in various topics in British history; and the "Pandora Podcast Series" has taught me tons about modern music (I was able to answer 4 of the 5 questions in a Jeopardy! drumming category recently, all because of Pandora). And, of course, "The Radio Adventures of Dr. Floyd" holds a special place in my heart, as the first podcast I ever subscribed to. It's geared toward children, and it's highly derivative, but it can sure be a lot of fun! And informative, too -- I've learned all kinds of junk from them.

The last quote was from the song "Istanbul, Not Constantinople," by both the Four Lads and They Might Be Giants. I've given Elizabeth 5 extra points for knowing about the Jack Benny sketch, and 5 extra points to Erin for knowing the names of both groups with recorded versions of the song.
No, honey, that's a frog -- bears wear hats. (82 points)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

DUDE, I love the muppets. That is a GREAT muppet caper.

Additionally, we subscribe to several of the same podcasts. We are about to subscribe to several more of the same ones, as your descriptions have sold me on the Byzantine, and pandora podcast. I didn't even know they had one, and now I am VERY happy.

Erin

kimberly said...

So I knew the last quote but never got around to commenting. Alas. I do not know this one.

On the subject of podcasts: I've tried so hard to appreciate podcasts. So hard! I've subscribed to several, but I've only listened to them once or twice. I just forget that they exist and, when I do remember, I'm not interested in listening. I guess this is one technological advancement I'll never embrace. I wonder why that is? Ah, well. If you enjoy them, then you're a more dedicated person than I am!

Having said said, some of the ones you subscribe to sound great. But I'd never listen to them.

Anonymous said...

You should check out the PotterCast podcast from the Leaky Cauldron. One of Christina's roommates from BYU was a transcription elf for them for a while. Now she is a forum moderator.

BTW -- Christina wanted me to tell you that she knew the last song, but didn't post it (maybe because she was holding the baby and it is hard to type when doing such things.) She also says that she knows this one is from a Muppets movie. She thinks it is the Muppets take Manhattan.

elliespen said...

Great Muppet Caper!

"And you can't sing! Your voice was DUBBED!"