Friday, February 3, 2006

concerts

I am just loving the fact that this year is the 250th anniversary of my favorite composer's birth. (That would be Johann Chrysostom Wolfgang Theophilus Mozart, in case you weren't sure.) It means that there are all kinds of great Mozart evens going on all year. Some of them are here at UNT, and I'm so excited for them.

Next week there's a concert at the university that's actually called "Celebrating Mozart". They will have opera students from UNT and SMU working together to perform some of the most popular pieces from Mozart's operas. Later in the semester, the UNT opera is going to be Cosi fan tutte, which I've never heard or seen, so I'm excited about that one, too. And there are a couple of other events going on that sound really great. I just hope I can find people to go with me to all of these -- my roommates don't have much time, and some of the events also cost a pretty penny (even for UNT students). I'll have to ask around a bit and see what I can work out.

For that matter, there's another concert next week that I'm really interested in. It's the UNT symphony orchestra, and they'll be performing some pieces by Rachmaninoff, Tchaikovsky, and some other Russian composers.

Going to concerts like this always remeinds me of the time I went to see the Utah Symphony in concert at Abravanell Hall in Salt Lake. They were performing a Mahler symphony, and even though Mahler is one of my least favorite composers, I really enjoyed the concert. That was largely because Keith Lockhart was conducting. Mr. Lockhart currently conducts the Boston Pops orchestra, and in his "spare time" he comes to Utah to work with the Utah Symphony. He is an amazing conductor, and just plain fun to watch -- he was so in to what he was doing, jumping up and down on his little stand, and all. *sigh* Good times.

And speaking of concerts, guess what I'm doing on March 17th? That's right, friends, I'm going to Fort Worth to see Michael Buble in concert! I'm so excited! I have never been to this kind of concert before, and I think this will be a really fun one. I do love Michael. I'll have to listen to him more now, just to make sure I know all the songs. :)

The last quote was from ... well, actually I'm going to leave it open for a little while longer. I'm pretty sure Erin knows it (but she hasn't posted yet), and I'm still interested to see if Paul really found the right one. But in the meantime, here's another one for you.

I keep tossing in my sleep at night, and what's more I've lost my appetite. (23 points)

3 comments:

elliespen said...

Erm, how charming...

I've been enjoying the Mozart line-up on the radio here recently, but it turns out the Utah Symphony and Opera hasn't really scheduled much Mozart at all this season (who arranged THAT schedule?) although the U and the Y are giving him his due. (And what happened to the Amadeus there? Where did that come from?) I don't prefer Keith Lockhart myself, actually (let's just say I found the name in COS very apropos), but to each his own.

I love Michael Buble's music but I saw him on TV the other day and he didn't look at all like he should with that voice. So enjoy your concert (sounds like fun) but I think I prefer to listen and not look on this one. His dancing didn't help matters much, either.

So I have no idea what the quote from last time was, but I do know this one, hooray! It's from the musical "Call Me Madam", and the song title is something like, "You're not sick, you're just in love" (I forget the exact title, but that's the gist of it anyway).

At any rate, in the spirit of the season, here's something I thought you might like.

Anonymous said...

Didn't know the quote, but thought I'd respond anyway. To answer the previous comment, Amadeus is Latin for "beloved of God". Theophilus is Greek for the same. Mozart used Amadeus or Amade' because they were more familiar than the Greek word for "beloved of God". So, he wasn't exactly changing his name, just the language used.

And Kat - if I had money to spare I'd go with you to some of these Mozart events. He's always been one of my favorite composers. I'm bummed that his 250th should fall during the year of little cash!

Kimberly

ps - The crazy/dorky dancing is part of Michael's charm and appeal!

elliespen said...

Thanks for that clarification! Will store that away in the random trivia file now.