Thursday, July 19, 2007

my how time flies!

So here we all are ... in JULY!

And not just July, but nearly the end of July. Crazy!

I have to apologize for not updating much this summer. I have no decent excuse. I'm just a bum.

For a few weeks I was working at a temp job in Wichita. I've had the last week and a half off, and I've been busy, busy working on applications for part-time teaching positions for the fall. I'll be sure and let you all know when I get a job and where it is. Meanwhile, I've been set apart as a Gospel Doctrine Sunday School teacher in the local YSA branch here. That's been fun.

More importantly, however -- the final Harry Potter book comes out this weekend! The closer it gets, the more excited I find myself. There are several businesses and libraries out here counting down the days -- some on their outdoor marquees -- and whenever I go past one and realize how little time is left, it gives me a little thrill. (I know ... it's the small things.) I'm taking quite a chance with this one, not having reserved a copy anywhere. I find I don't appreciate all the hoop-la at places like Barnes & Noble, and when Half-Blood Prince came out in 2005, I learned that virtually no one gets their Harry Potter books at Wal-Mart in the middle of the night, so that's what I've been banking on.

Last night I actually dreamt about getting my copy of Deathly Hallows. Margo and I went to Wal-Mart -- only after welcoming her friend to the area, who's visiting for the weekend -- and as we drove home from her aunt's house, I made her stop at the closest possible Wal-Mart so that I could start reading in the car. When we got into Wal-Mart, I easily picked up my copy (I was careful to get one that hadn't been too badly damaged in the rush to get it out at exactly 12:01 am), but there was a vague sense of foreboding afterward. I woke up right after that, so I'm not sure what kind of foreboding it was, or what it might have betokened. I hope it's nothing too harmful.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

On vacation and my copy of Harry Potter 7 is sitting in my house half the United States away. I want to cry. I keep having dreams about getting my hands on a copy... Pity me my friends, we don't get home until NEXT FREAKING MONDAY!

Erin