Friday, September 14, 2007

muse high

I'm in a weird place today -- I am still partly coming off my high from seeing Muse in concert on Wednesday, which makes me both elated and deeply depressed (something that sublimity always does to me), and in addition my body is dealing with the odd sleeping patterns of the last two nights, which makes me groggy, lethargic, and a tad grumpy.

See, I didn't end up going to bed on Wednesday until 3:00 am, since I decided to wait around in the cold after the show and see if I could catch the band. Happily, I did, and the three-hour wait was actually worth it. If anything, I am only the more besotted by the experience. I was really worried for a while that they weren't going to come out or come talk to us or anything, but they did, and they were extremely gracious about the whole thing. I, personally, act like a complete idiot in these situations -- what exactly do you say to people you've never met before but have such profound respect for because of their work (I fully believe that Matt, Chris, and Dom are musical geniuses, in the most literal sense of the word)? Anyway, I mostly stood there like an idiot, listening to them talk to the other fans. I was really impressed with Matt -- when my "friend," Julie (whom I met that night while waiting for the band) told him she had seen them perform in Tokyo, he asked, "Which venue? We played four there." She told him the venue, and he replied, "Oh yeah, that was a good show -- that's where we played the longest set out there." Honestly, I'm amazed that he would remember details like that, considering how many gigs they play in one year (let alone the 14 that they've been together as Muse). All three of them were wonderfully gracious, as I said, and they even signed my "Absolution" CD -- even though I was a complete dork and had to tell them, "I don't have a pen, but I was hoping I could get an autograph." I had to tell this to all three of them separately, as they moved among us, which only made me feel that much more dorky about it. I've learned my lesson, though: always take a Sharpie with you to a concert, just in case you decide to ask for autographs and the "talents" don't have any.

So, to sum up the whole evening: It was a great concert, my niece and her friend were great fun to hang out with, Juliette and the Licks (supporting band) were just plain goofy but did a great cover of "Hot Stuff", I was greatly upset that Cold War Kids didn't come as support, I just about lost my voice (from singing with Muse) and my hearing (from listening to Muse), I now have an autographed CD from the band -- and I even got to touch Matt Bellamy. (Marriage Plan A is SO still in play!)

P.S. Apologies to LS and K about where I got my autographs -- none for you, guys! :)

MuseWiki's page on the Orem concert -- complete with set list, but not much else at the moment.

Your dark shines, bringing me down -- making my heart feel sore, 'cause it's good. (12 points -- today's quote is fairly easy, but it's the best one for describing how I feel after seeing Muse)

The last quote (in the post runner's high) was from a Muse song, "Bliss." Shocker.

1 comment:

Not Too Pensive said...

Kat - good to see you! Here's the link to the comics I told you about: http://www.phdcomics.com/comics.php