Thursday, August 14, 2003

SCA


So I'm thinking of things that I can do during the fall and winter seasons to keep me entertained, since I otherwise will only be working. I've never before spent a whole fall and winter season together not going to school. Except on my mission, but that'a different story. A long one.

Anyway, I've been looking into the Society for Creative Anachronism. They are an international group dedicated to researching and re-creating the happier aspects of the Middle Ages. I would love to learn fletching, lacework, and illuminated writing. I have located the local chapter (the College of Arrow's Flight), and the person in charge of it, and I just need to call him and see about coming to a meeting to answer a few of my questions. I'm kind of afraid it might turn out to be a whole bunch of really obsessive and odd people. But then, I can be kind of obsessive ... and rather odd. So maybe it will work out. I'll have to do some more research on it. Another thing about it is that I don't have anyone else to go to it with me, and that always makes me nervous. I tend to not do so well in large groups where I don't know anyone else. But it's probably time for me to bite the bullet, and be brave, and just do it!

My obsession with Robin Hood continues. I'm really enjoying the Howard Pyle version. I read it once before in high school, but had forgotten a lot of it. He's very good. The only thing is that Marian is mentioned, I think, once. He saw Robin Hood as an adventure story, with very little to do with romance. Which is just a shame, I verily believe.

No comments: