Saturday, August 16, 2003

Whew!


My roommate and I recently received news that we would be getting two new roommmates for the coming school year. We were both a little apprehensive about this, since it's just been the two of us this summer, and we've been having a great time in our own rooms and what not. Well, we were also told that the first of these new rommates would be moving in today. Katie isn't here right now, as she's visiting family in Ohio, and I was looking forward in a way to having two weeks by myself. But instead I had to move out of my room and into Katie's (just so that neither of us would have to room with a complete stranger), and now I have a new roommate to get used to before Katie comes back. I wish she were here, as she's so much better at getting to know new people than I am. Anyway, Holly (our newest roommate) just finished moving in. When she first opened the door to the apartment and saw me sitting on the living room floor eating pizza and watcing TV during my 'lunch break,' I looked at her and immediately said, "You're wearing a Hogwarts shirt! Are you a Gryffindor?" "All the way," she replied. So I told her, "So am I, and so's Katie." I knew right then that things wouldn't be as hard as they could have been. Now, though, I just hope to never find out that she's an H/H-er.

It turns out that Holly is actually registered at the U of U (but she's not taking classes there yet, or something ... I haven't quite figured this out yet). She's 20 and just graduated from Snow College, where she majored in Theater. She ended up here in Provo because she works in Orem and will most likely be playing a part in a play at Snow College this fall (that's in St. George). So Provo ended up being kind of a central area for her. She seems really nice so far. She's got a very analytical mind from what I've seen of her so far (which, of course, is great!). She reminds me just a little bit of my old roommate Jody from my Ricks College days. I think we'll get along just fine.

In other news, I have to give talk tomorrow in sacrament meeting on "the living prophet: our watchman on the tower." I haven't even started it yet, although I do think that I have a few ideas to work from.

Last night I bought some oil color pencils, which are just colored pencils that used kind of an oil-based lead, and you can then spread the color around with a wet cotton swab to fill in the areas around it. I'm toying with coloring some of Pyle's RH illustrations and framing them for my wall. Last night I "practiced" with his picture of Will Scarlet. It turned out pretty good, and I'm very happy with the colors.

In my reading last night, Robin met Friar Tuck (the "curtal friar of Fountain Abbey"), whom he is planning to enlist to his services so that he can marry Allan a Dale to his true love (Ellen a Dale :) ), whom he met the night before. Nothing especially new here (especially if you've read The Outlaws of Sherwood before), but it's just so fun nonetheless. Pyle's Robin is somewhat self-centered and egocentric, but not too much. And in fact, that's OK because Pyle's Robin is also very orange (in Peircean theory), which is exactly what he should be. Maybe my next blog will be about the personality types or about the Peircean theory in plot. That will help me explain better what bothers me about McKinley's Robin, and why Pyle's Robin works so much better for me.

No comments: