Monday, June 28, 2004

My First (Almost) Traffic Ticket

I forgot to mention my little adventure yesterday evening. Dad and I drove down here together and then he went back this morning with the car. We used Grandpa Wilkins's car, since Bessie hasn't been feeling too well lately (she's been overheating).

Well, I got off at the Center Street exit in Provo, planning to take Center east for a ways until it was time to turn north again. There were several cops around, I noticed, and I kept wondering why, but didn't really bother with it much. And then one of them started flashing his lights at me, and I had to pull over. I had been driving about 25 mph down Center -- where the speed limit is a ludicrous 15 mph. The officer asked for my driver's license, registration, and insurance. I gave him my license while Dad looked around and finally found the registration. He kept looking for the insurance while the officer went back to his patrol car (I assume to look up my record ... ?). When the officer came back, Dad had found the most recent insurance, which had expired in January of this year. Doesn't look too good, that. I explained to the officer that we were using my grandfather's car, so we weren't sure where everything was. He was really very nice. He asked if Grandpa had been paying insurance on the car, and we said we couldn't imagine that he wasn't. He then urged us to get the stuff together so that it was easier to find in future, and admonished me to drive slower on Center Street. "There are a lot of people, especially from the clubs, that will just walk right out in front of you, and that's much more expensive than a ticket," he informed me. I have to admit that he was right, but I'm sure not happy about it. He let me go with just a warning.

But I would have been really angry if he'd given me a ticket for driving 25 mph!

No comments: