Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Shakespearean Festival

Yay! We're going to the Fest! At least I'm pretty sure we are.

Jen emailed yesterday with the total cost estimates and the proposed dates: July 22-24. I, thinking that this would be a Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, immediately responded to her email and said that I was in for sure.

Then I realized two problems.

First, my mom and dad just got back from their two-year-long sojourn in France, and I knew that Mom had been thinking about going to the Shakesperean Festival, maybe as just a girl party. So I felt I ought to call her and find out if she was still planning on that and whether she'd be offended at all if I decided to go with Emily, Jen & Co. She had no objections, and in fact sounded rather excited about the whole thing. So that was taken care of.

But then, I looked at my calendar and realized that the 22-24 are a Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, which would mean that I'd have to take two days off of work that week. My manager already seems to think that she can't afford to have me leave for three days two weeks later for my family reunion (which, I zealously assure you, she can). So how am I supposed to get two more days off? Well, two possible solutions came to mind. 1) Tell her that this is very important to me and that if I can't have those days off that I'll be leaving on the 21st. 2) Tell her that I can work until September 3rd (two weeks longer than my current plans, in which I'll be leaving August 20th). Either way, there are still some problems. With solution 1, I end up throwing away a good month or more of possible work, when I could be "making bank", as the saying goes, and saving for grad school this fall. With solution 2, I have to find a place to live down here for another two weeks after my contract has expired.

Solution 3 came to me this afternoon, after talking to Paul about the dilemma. That solution? Lie. Call in sick on Thursday morning and don't come back until Monday. Problem: well, "disguise of every sort is my abhorrence," as Darcy would put it.

But, I'm going, in any case. I don't know how. But I will be going. I'll talk to Adrielle (manager) and see what she says, and then I'll work on a solution once I've heard what she has to say about the matter.

In any case, though, if anyone out there knows of a place I could stay for little to no rent for two to three weeks from August 20th to September 3rd or 10th, in the Provo or Salt Lake areas ... PLEASE let me know!

4 comments:

Paul P said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Paul P said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Paul P said...

Ok. First of all, I'm not sure how chatting with me yesterday gave you the idea to lie... I'm not sure how to take that! :)

Second, If you are planning to call in sick, but really go to the festival, I'm not sure you should be broadcasting it across the Internet. (I'm not saying that I _disagree_ with the idea...)

Third, I bet we could work something out in Spanish Fork. Call Christina and talk to her.

KatrinaW said...

First, it wasn't _because_ of you that I thought about lying ... it just happened later in the day, after I had talked to you.

Second, I'm not really planning on that course of action, which was why I went ahead and published it on the Internet. I'm really not that dumb, you know!

Third ... Hmm, I'll call her and see if she has any ideas.