Tuesday, April 19, 2005

giving in to the lure of the meme ...

Because I liked the idea. I didn't include two of my very favorite books, just because they're so ridiculously easy.

Note: Answers have been added for those that have been guessed correctly. I'm still waiting to hear from anyone on #5 and #10.

1. List the first line(s) of 10 books you really like.
2. And then you all can guess.


1. There was no possiblity of taking a walk that day. Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Bronte; correctly guessed by Donovan, Elizabeth, and Erin

2. 3 MAY, Bistritz - Left Munich at 8:35 p.m. on 1st May, arriving at Vienna early next morning; should have arrived at 6:46, but train was an hour late. Dracula, by Bram Stoker; correctly guessed by Donovan and Erin

3. Every one has heard people quarrelling. Sometimes it sounds funny and sometimes it sounds merely unpleasant; but however it sounds, I believe we can learn something very important from listening to the kind of things they say. Mere Christianity, by C. S. Lewis; correctly guessed by Elizabeth

4. The intense interest aroused in the public by what was known at the time as "The Styles Case" has now somewhat subsided. The Mysterious Affair at Styles, by Agatha Christie; correctly guessed by Elizabeth

5. The short answer to the question 'Who is stylistics?' is that she is a friend of mine, and that I hope by the end of this book she might also become a friend of yours.

6. Who that cares much to know the history of man, and how the mysterious mixture behaves under the varying experiments of Time, has not dwelt, at least briefly, on the life of Saint Theresa, has not smiled with some gentleness at the thought of the little girl walking forth one morning hand-in-hand with her still smaller brother, to go and seek martyrdom in the country of the Moors? Middlemarch, by George Eliot; correctly guessed by Donovan and Elizabeth

7. My father's family name being Pirrip, and my Christian name Philip, my infant tongue could make of both names nothing longer or more explicit than Pip. So, I called myself Pip, and came to be called Pip. Great Expectations, by Charles Dickens; correctly guessed by Donovan and Elizabeth

8. On August 16, 1968, I was handed a book written by a certain Abbé Vallet, Le Manuscrit de Dom Adson de Melk, traduit en français d'après l'édition de Dom J. Mabillon (Aux Presses de l'Abbaye de la Source, Paris, 1842). The Name of the Rose, by Umberto Eco; correctly guessed by Donovan and Elizabeth

9. The thousand injuries of Fortunato I had borne as I best could ; but when he ventured upon insult, I vowed revenge. (actually a short story, but unquestionably my favorite by this author) "The Cask of Amantillado," by Edgar Allan Poe; correctly guessed by Donovan and Elizabeth

10. We are talking now of summer evenings in Knoxville, Tennessee, in the time that I lived there so successfully disguised to myself as a child.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let's see if I can answer without giving too much away.

1.Poor Helen Burns!
2.The Wafer on the forehead is my favorite part.
3.I admit ignorance.
4.I admit ignorance.
5.I admit ignorance.
6.And how should Dorothea not marry?
7."You little coarse monster, what do you think of me now?"
8. I'd write it in Italian, but it's too close to English.
9.For the love of God, Montressor!
10.Alas, I have not grown in knowedge since #5.

KatrinaW said...

Whoa! I'm not sure what happened there, but I assure you I did not intend to put the same things for #5 and #10. I'll change that right away.

KatrinaW said...

I just learned that there is apparently no way to edit your comments on Blogger, even if you made them yourself. Grr.

Anyway, I really meant #4 and #10 (which used to be the same).

Donovan has gotten all of them right (except the ones where he pleaded ignorance). Anyone else?

If you know the title, or even just the author, put it out there and I'll give you credit for it.

Anonymous said...

Here we go!

1. Bronte
2. not quite sure...
3. Lewis
4. Sounds like Christie
5. no idea, to be honest
6. Eliot
7. Do I even need to say this one? Have you stepped on anything else with those shoes since Westminster?
8. I'm going to go with Eco
9. Great story -- Poe
10. tickling at the back of my mind but I can't place it.

~Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

I must admit that I only knew the first 2. OUCH. I have some reading to do. Better go look up the other quotes so I can see what I should be reading...
Erin

Anonymous said...

Even though #10 is still a big nope for me, I had so much fun I decided to do a quiz of my own. If you want, you can swing by and take a guess.