Thursday, April 14, 2005

one more down

I know I haven't been around much lately, and I'm sorry if anyone's been looking for me. But I've been really busy working on a paper. I finished it today, but I have another one to work on. Anyway, I thought I'd take a minute to mention some of what I've been up to.

For one thing, I'm seriously considering coming home in June instead of August (which would also mean not attending the Accio Harry Potter conference). It would sure save me a lot of money, and that's always a good thing. Besides which, there'll be pretty much no one here after June, so that's no fun.

This weekend I'm going to Hadrian's Wall in the north of England. I'm really excited for it. I have recently been learning a little Latin on the Internet -- not enough to really do much, but I can identify the cases in phrases like "in nomine domini" and stuff -- and we will be visiting a Roman fort up there. Besides which, it's Hadrian's Wall, and that's just really cool.

I've also been reading The Name of the Rose, by Umberto Eco, which has been lots of fun. Plot-wise, it's a medeival murder mystery, but it goes far beyond that, really. Anyway, very interesting reading. If any of you have read it, be sure and let me know so we can chat.

I don't like my work, but I get a good deal of satisfaction out of it after all, so I won't complain. (10 points)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Eco is good, isn't he? I've read The Name of the Rose twice--once in english and once in italian (sorry about the own-horn-tooting). I also like Foucault's Pendulum.
You haven't, by chance, read An Instance of the Fingerpost by Ian Pears, have you?