Thursday, October 20, 2005

another update

So, life here has been pretty hectic lately. However, this is the celebratory week of the semester, since my nasty six-hour-a-week graduate class on teaching composition is over now. YIPPEEE!!!!

On the other hand, that also means that this is now the middle of the semester, and classes are starting to get a lot harder. I have a Phonology test in a week and a half, and I need to start going on memorizing (and understanding) a whole bunch of phonological features and phonological processes. Yikes! That's what's got me most worried right now.

I am starting work on a new website that I would like to use for supplemental materials for the classes I teach. I'm trying to see if I can get it up to speed so that I can use it for next semester when I teach 1320. Speaking of which, I'm very excited about 1320, since it is more literature-based and has fewer actual papers for the students to write (or for me to grade).

Criminals thrive on the indulgence of society's understanding. (21 points)



P.S. I forgot to tell you the answers from the last post.
(1) "Let me 'splain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up." --The Princess Bride
(2) a word that is 'sandwiched' in another word (e.g., scrumdiddlyumptious) --tmesis
(3) "She foresaw that she was doomed to a lonely spinsterhood." --Gerogette Heyer, Regency Buck (BTW, I decided to give Emily 20 points for that, since she did know it was Heyer, just not which book it was.)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really, Kat, you remember the most random of quotes from movies. Again, I had no idea...though now, thanks to Yahoo, I do. Perhaps my recall isn't quite up to par until after the source has been named? Now, though, I can hear him saying it in my head. I do love his voice... Honestly, though, of all the great lines that stand out to me from that particular movie (and remember, I did see it 4 times) that is not one of them...not that there is anything wrong with it...

Alas, a new post, but no points for me!
Kimberly

Paul P said...

I didn't know it either. And when I looked it up, I find that I haven't seen this flick yet--but it is on my list. When I see it in Redbox I'll check it out. :)

Anonymous said...

Kat, great update! and I actually know a quote Kimberly doesn't--Batman Begins! I have to say, I think I have a small advantage in being your roommate. :)
Margo

Anonymous said...

Kat - I am forced to agree with Margo on this one. I do feel at something of a disadvantage simply because I don't live in your apartment. Margo can use your recent chats and movie watching and tv watching to help direct her to the source, while the rest of us suffer! How I suffer! And I suffer in silence! (last bit paraphrased from a movie...name it!)
Kimberly

Anonymous said...

Really have no idea on the quote although it sounds vaguely familiar. The only thing I could come up with was To Kill A Mockingbird, but knew that wasn't it! Now that I know what it is, I have seen it but beg to be pardoned for not knowing the source, as I saw that movie in Chile and was most likely distracted by the subtitles.

Also, I am respectfully wondering if my points from the last post counted or not, as I don't see them on the scoreboard yet. And what was that spinsterhood quote from? (The dent in my wall is growing rather large...)

Good luck with classes and suchnot!

~Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

Dearest Roommate of Mine,

After considerable contemplation, I was able to remember that we saw this movie together with all our buddies. To narrow this down, it was the one where Kimberly kept saying things about how beautiful Christian Bale is. Good times, good times.

Erin

PS Kimberly is not wrong about Christian Bale.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Erin, for admitting that I have considerable talent picking out the beautiful men in movies (last night being the exception, in your case, though not in Kat's). Excuse me while I go drowl...er, I mean do my homework...
Kimberly