Saturday, October 2, 2004

new general authorities

I was just listening to the first session of General Conference, but I got there late. So I didn't get to hear the beginning and the announcement of the new Apostles who have been called. But during President Faust's talk, I heard him welcome Elder Uchtdorf and Elder Bednar to the Council of the Twelve. I was so excited, and trying not to be, just in case there was another Elder Bednar somewhere that I didn't know about. But as soon as Conference ended, I learned that it was indeed Elder David A. Bednar who has been called. I'm so excited. I have admired Elder Bednar ever since I was a student at Ricks College, where he has been President of the school since 1997, the year I started there. He is one of my all-time favorite speakers, and now I will get to hear him twice every year, along with millions of other people. I know we shouldn't have favorite general authorities -- and really, with all the other wonderful authorities we have, especially in the Quorum of the Twelve, I couldn't declare a favorite, even now -- but I must admit that I am particularly elated to hear about this calling. He will do the Church an enormous service in this capacity.

Yay!

Elder Uchtdorf will no doubt also do a marvelous job, though I know less about him personally. I do know that he's German by birth, though, and that might be interesting to see what sort of things happen in connection with that. I've been trying to remember if it was Elder Uchtdorf or some other general authority whose sister we ran into while I was on my mission. We actually had a contact record for her, but she was a Seventh-Day Adventist and not particularly interested in hearing what we had to say (I'm sure she's heard a lot about it already from him). I have great admiration for people who are able to stay the course when they have family that so strongly disapprove of what they're doing. That would be hard for me in many ways. But, I suppose we all have to learn to stick to our faith around those who think we are kooky, whether they are in our family or elsewhere.


No comments: