Wednesday, February 9, 2005

email scams and Mozart

Amadeus
I went with JoAnna to see the Lancaster University Theatre Group production of Amadeus. Frankly, it was terrible. It was like watching a high school production. The pacing was laggard (the show lasted about 3 hours) and the acting was lamentable. Once again, as with David Thewlis in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, I had to wonder whether these people are at all aware that sometimes an emotion is far more forcefully conveyed through its repression than its release. Mostly, I kept thinking, "These are people who have no real life experiences." They seemed to have no idea what real envy is, what real hatred is, what real depression is ... the list goes on. They certainly had no idea who a real God is.

Probably worst of all for me, because it could have been quite easily fixed, was the fact that everyone looked like 21st-century young men in tights, pantaloons, gold-embroidered waistcoats, and white wigs, and trying to look like 18th-century courtiers in Vienna. None of them actually contrived to look like 18th-century courtiers in Vienna. And this could so easily have been fixed by simply tweaking some body movement -- posture, stance, gesture. All that would have helped it immensely.

I'm deeply disappointed by the LUTG.

On the brighter side, though, I did get to hear some great Mozart music, and I am now motivated (a) to listen to some more Mozart, whom I've sadly neglected in the last year or so, and (b) to find the film of Amadeus and watch it again, just to clear my palette.

Email scam
Just how stupid do these people think I am?


D‮ae‬r Yaho‮!o‬ Me‮rebm‬,

T‮ih‬s ema‮li‬ was s‮tne‬ by the Y‮oha‬o! se‮vr‬er to ve‮ir‬fy yo‮ru‬ ba‮kn‬ ca‮dr‬ information. Your‬ ba‮kn‬ ask Y‮!ooha‬ to d‮ o‬so b‮ce‬ause s‮mo‬e of th‮rie‬ mem‮reb‬s no lon‮reg‬ h‮va‬e acc‮sse‬ to e‮am‬il add‮er‬sses on Ya‮!ooh‬ and they n‮ee‬d to v‮ire‬fy you. You mu‮ts‬ co‮elpm‬te t‮ih‬s p‮or‬cess by cl‮gnikci‬ on the li‮kn‬ be‮ol‬w:
*\link deleted\*
and ent‮re‬ing y‮ruo‬ b‮kna‬ A‮D-MT‬ebit C‮ra‬d n‮rebmu‬ and P‮NI‬ t‮ah‬t you use on A‮MT‬.


Maybe they didn't think I'd realize that I have never bought anything from Yahoo! or from any of their affiliates. Or that my bank would never ask me to click a link sent me by a some entity completely unrelated to the bank, and enter my debit card and PIN numbers. Or that if I click "Reply", I can actually see that the link provided is not a text link, but an image link, obviously designed to redirect me to a site on a different, non-Yahoo! server. And don't even get me started on the linguistic features...

Today's Quote
"It's all in ze wrist." (spoken with a French accent; 10 points)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The only cure for a three hour Amadeus is an hour and a half devoted to either Le Nozze di Figaro or Cosi Fan Tutte.

I believe the quote is Bondian, but I'm only 90% sure of the movie. My guess is "Octopussy."
Donovan

KatrinaW said...

Not even close on this, one Donovan. Sorry, mate.