Friday, February 4, 2005

not much

I watched The Third Man again tonight, before I have to take it back to the library tomorrow, and it was just delightful. When I watched it last weekend, I was left feeling a bit disturbed, which I think is largely what the film is supposed to do. But tonight, it was just a great, well-made movie. I'm sorely tempted to share several of my favorite quotes, but I'd much rather you all go watch it for yourselves and enjoy the experience afresh. Oh, all right, you've convinced me -- just one, to whet your appetite. And it's a fairly innocuous one that won't give away any major plot points or themes.
Calloway: What happened to your hand?
Martins: Parrot bit me.

Next week is the Chinese New Year, and my good friends from China, Taiwan, and Hong Kong have invited me to join them in their celebration. I'm very excited for it, and I will get to use my new chopsticks, which my flatmate gave me for Christmas. :)

The same day as "Chinese New Year's Eve" (as we might call it) is also Pancake Day here in England. It's their much more mild version of Mardi Gras, for the Tuesday before Ash Wednesday, when Lent begins. To glut themselves before Lent, they eat all kinds of sweets, but mostly pancakes, which seem to be a sort of mixture between French crepes and American pancakes, mostly eaten as a dessert. We're planning to celebrate it another day, so that I can experience both that and the Chinese Spring Festival (as my Chinese friends call it).

Tonight's quote, 10 points:
Would you like to see where I was tattooed?
Sure.
OK, I'll drive you around there someday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok, I ADORE that movie! That would be Charade, with Grant and Hepburn. I may go watch it again right now!
Erin