Tuesday, February 1, 2005

lots of stuff

Once again, it's a beautiful day here in Lancaster. It started out pretty yucky, but by about noon, it had turned into a sunny, mild day. It's about 50 F outside, and I feel like I should be wearing shorts!

Last night we had FHE in Preston, and it was a blast. Before going on, I should probably explain that some of the YSAs from our ward go to the university in Preston (University of Central Lancashire), and they have a house down there that they share. Well, really only Nathan lives there, but the others have all lived there off and on before, and it's sort of their base when they're in Preston. Nathan and Alex have been coming to FHE with us lately, so we decided it was only fair that we should go to Preston, since they always come to Lancaster. I was uncharacteristically giddy during FHE, for my part. I think it was a combination of being somewhere other than Lancaster, not having to be in charge of anything for FHE, having funny guys around, and having eaten nothing but a Lion candy bar for dinner (I was starting on my dinner when I realized it was an hour later than I had thought, and I had to rush out the door without eating most of my meal). Anyway, I was very giggly and a bit irreverent for the first part. But luckily, I sobered up just enough to be respectable, and we had a fun time. We wrote to the lone missionary from the ward, who'll be back from Ireland in the summer, if I remember correctly. JoAnna had also brought fake, rub-on tattoos, and so we each did one of those. Mine is a feather. :)

Tonight we're feeding the missionaries, and I'm really excited about it. We're having chicken fajitas (the kind that aren't really fajitas, because they don't have fajita sauce on them, but they're a specialty of mine). We talked to the district leader on Sunday to make sure it was legit for three or four college-age girls to feed two Elders, but it's all OK. I've been wanting to feed them ever since I got here, and I just hadn't really taken the intiative to get it going.

This past weekend, both Sarah and Denise had gone home for the weekend, so JoAnna and I were the only ones there at church from the uni. JoAnna spoke in Sacrament Meeting, and it was really weird to not have her sitting next to me during the meeting. I kept wanting to poke her and tell her about something, but then I realized that Ruth Lisgo was next to me, not JoAnna. On the way home from church, she invited me to her place to have dinner with her, which was very nice. We had tacos, including yummy guacamole, and talked about a bunch of stuff. I've been really enjoying getting to know JoAnna a bit better, and I'm looking forward to going to London with her in three weeks for Phantom of the Opera.

I'm also really looking forward to having Katie Bills come out in two weeks! Today and tomorrow I plan to spend some serious time making firmer plans for when she's here, and figuring out how much things will cost and what-not. I've got to try and work out whether we'll be able to make it to Edinburgh or not. The north-south train lines are crazy-hectic these days, and while I'm not too worried about getting up to Edinburgh, I do worry a little about making it down to London in time to meet Scott and Elizabeth, who are coming over from Paris to spend the weekend with us. So, time to get down to some serious planning for all of this.

Well, I suppose it's time for me to get going, so here's the quote for the day:

"In a world where what we want is only what we want until it's ours." (10 points)

I'm still waiting for someone to get these as well, from earlier posts:

"You talk about him as if he had occasional bad manners." (upped to 30 points)

"Who put me in this bed? I'll bet his face is red. I call him down with every tear-drop that I shed." (upped to 30 points)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The second quote is from "The Third Man," which has the best theme music of any movie ever. Deedle-deedle-dum da-Dum...Deedle-deedle-dum da-Dum...

Incidentally, reading about your discovery of the Harry Lime radio show made me laugh.
(Spoilers ahead.)


I see two possibilities: either the show is set before the movie, in which case we get to hear Harry steal penicillin from hospitals, or the show is set after the movie, in which case Harry's adventures wouldn't exactly be riveting.
Donovan

Anonymous said...

Kat, you have stumped me on all three. I looked them up since I was curious as to what they were and hadn't even heard of the 30 pointers and the 10 pointer- I don't like that group so I switch stations when they come on resulting in me having no familiarity with their lyrics. Sadness to several no-point-days to me.
Erin