Friday, December 10, 2004

chopsticks pro, right here!

So tonight was our Linguistics Department Christmas Social, and we had Chinese food at one of the restaurants on campus. Ironic though it seems, the majority of the students there were Chinese ... Gotta love it! I'm constantly amazed at how they all seem to know me, especially the girls. Some of them who I honestly don't even remember meeting before know me by name. It's a bit weird, but nice in a way too.

Anyway, when I sat down with my food, I was surprised to see most of them using spoons to eat with, and they teasingly asked if I was going to use chopsticks. To which I replied that yes, I certainly was -- at least, I was going to try. The chopsticks were a lot longer than I'm used to, and they were plastic and didn't stick quite as well as the wooden ones I'm used to using in the States. And of course, the rice wasn't nearly sticky enough, but that's nothing that unusual for what I'm used to at home. Anyway, about halfway through our meal, one of the girls said that I use my chopsticks 'professionally'. ;D And they all were impressed that I done as well as I did with them. So there you are, you didn't even know it, most of you, but you are all acquainted with a professional chopstick user!

Many thanks to Sara, who used to eat Chinese with me all the time during our sophopmore year at Ricks College, where we used to have competitions to see who could make it the longest using only chopsticks!

1 comment:

Kip Wilkins said...

Right on, Sis! As another "pro", I am impressed to know that you like chopsticks! I have about a dozen pair, many very pretty, that I only use on special occasions... I have an "everyday" pair that I use at least once a week!

We will have to get together when you return, so I can take you to dinner and PRACTICE! LOL

-KIP