Wednesday, December 8, 2004

nothing special

I don't have anything that special to talk about, but I thought I'd write a brief update and relieve you all from the dreaded thoughts of having to read my rants about Wuthering Heights and unreliable narrators.

I finished my first assignment tonight. That means that tomorrow I can take it to the computer lab and get it printed out, and maybe even hand it in that day. That would mean I'd have all Friday to just play! Happy, joy joy! (I will be posting the paper on my website, for those of you who might be interested in it.)

I think I'll be going to the movies this weekend. I really want to see "Phantom of the Opera", and I just learned today that it will be at our theater on Saturday! I didn't expect it to get here until after Christmas, really.

The last week or so I've been Harry Potter obsessing again. Yeah, I know ... I just may have to start re-reading the books from the library over Christmas vacation. I also am planning to send in an abstract for a possile presentation at the 2005 Harry Potter conference, which will take place in the UK this year. I know, it's pretty geeky, huh? Kind of like going to a Star Trek convention. But I don't plan on dressing up like anyone (although probably several others will), and I would be doing a presentation on a real, academic subject -- not just debating whether Hermione loves Ron or Harry! :) (BTW, my paper would be on characterisation in Harry Potter, particularly of James and Lily, since they get very little characterisation except through other characters.)

Welll, I guess that's it. I hope everyone is doing GREAT out there! I am almost ready to send out my Christmas packages, so be ready!

1 comment:

KatrinaW said...

So, I already answered Emily on this in an email, but I feel like I ought to make it official and public and all, as well as offering some more substantial explanation.

First off, I have to say that I really was being a bit facetious with this. Of course, there is nothing wrong with debating about Ron and Hermione, nor with dressing up like wizards. (Emily did both of these at Nimbus 2003, was it? and I have to say, I thought, and still thin, that that's awesome.)

The fact of the matter is, I felt like I had to somehow cover myself, since I tend to use Emily's Nimbus experience as the example to help people understand her (and her sisters' and friend's) obsession with Harry Potter, and just how extensive that obsession is. See, I'm obsessed, but not nearly like they are, and up till now I've always used that as a way to help people see how much more obsessive a person could be. But now that I find myself thinking about doing something similar, I guess I feel like I have to justify it, so that people will not think that I'm quite as obsessive as they are. Don't get me wrong here, there's nothing wrong with obsession (well, not inherently, anyway, although I know of several examples where it went horribly wrong -- but that's not the point here). I just want people to realize that I'm only the tip of the iceberg. After all, I only rated a 34% obsession on the Mugglenet HP obsession quiz. :)