Saturday, December 11, 2004

why do I do this to myself?

I'm not too sure what I was thinking, but I decided to go ahead and rent Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban tonight. I honestly don't know why I do this to myself. I guess there was some hope that I might not find it as revolting this time -- that maybe it would grow on me. It didn't. It did the same thing it's done every time before. Namely, it made me mad and annoyed. Do either David Thewlis (Lupin) or Gary Oldman (Sirius) have any idea what it means to talk in a low voice? I don't believe they do. Either that, or Alfonso Cuaron thinks we're all deaf out here, and the only way to hear anything is for people on screen to shout it. Or -- which I consider most likely -- they don't understand that sometimes our emotions are better portrayed as we try to hide them, and that sometimes, hiding our emotions may be the best way to cope with them. Stan Shunpike was wonderful, of course, but that was it, really. And everything just feels so rushed!

Sorry to be ranting about this again -- I know most of you have heard it ten times over already. Once again, my conclusion is that I have to go read the book again. I can handle that. ;)

1 comment:

Paul P said...

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and I'm going to say that POA wasn't that bad. In fact, as I watched the DVD, I was interested by how much JKR actually liked the movie. I thought it was telling that JKR herself liked POA that much.