Monday, April 9, 2007

Happy Easter!

I hope everyone enjoyed the celebration of the Resurrection yesterday. I know I did.

Our bishop's brother spoke in Sacrament Meeting, and as soon as he started, I turned to my roommate and said, "He clearly has the same dramatic streak in him." At times, it almost felt like we were watching a televangelist preach to us. And he made reference to a couple of things that only Mormons would have understood, which made me sincerely hope that we had no investigators with us (I don't think we did). In Sunday School, our teacher had a sinus headache and had taken some Zyrtec for it, but was "learning the hard way," as he said, that it is a drowsy medicine. Relief Society was wonderful, on the other hand. We recently called a new teacher, and this was her third lesson, I think. It was really amazing. She puts a lot of time and effort into her lessons -- much more than I do when I teach in church.

I had been planning to make strawberry pie with our dinner, in celebration of Easter, and I offered to take some to our missionary couple -- the wife hasn't been feeling well lately, and I wanted to let her know that we appreciate them. But I've never been much of a pie baker, and things didn't go as well as expected. The pie crust shrank together badly when I baked it, and it really didn't look pretty when I took it out. But, not one to let the aesthetics of my baking deter me, I decided to go ahead with it. However, then I made the gel filling that holds the strawberries together, and it didn't seem to be setting up like it should. Again, I was hopeful, so I went ahead and poured it into the pie crust. But because of the weird shape of the pie crust, the filling ran over its sides that it was between the crust and the pie pan in several places, and it just didn't look at all pretty. Even then, I would still have taken it to our missionaries, but I still couldn't see that the gel filling was setting up, and it looked like the pie was going to be really difficult to try to eat. I decided to put it in the fridge, in hopes that the cold might help it set up, and I looked at it and thought today's quote:
It was a disaster, Faye! (33 points)

So, I made some chocolate-peanut butter brownies for our missionary couple instead, which seemed to turn out just great. When I came home from their apartment, I took another look at the pie in the fridge, and although it still didn't look pretty, the gel did seem to have set up after all, so we ate it later ourselves. At least I have some helpful notes to add to my recipe now.

With dinner, we watched Ben-Hur, which I had never seen before. It was pretty good, all things considered, though I couldn't help but think that I would have preferred to read it as a book.

(I'm leaving the last quote un-identified until the next post, when I'll reveal both that one and today's.)

No comments: