Saturday, April 7, 2007

Ioan movies

I've been Netflixing lots of Ioan Gruffudd movies lately, wanting to see his acting (and, admittedly, his face) in a variety of contexts.

Last week I watched him in a BBC/Masterpiece Theater production of Great Expectations, in which he played Pip. Now, as many of you know, this is my favorite Dickens book, so I was excited to see how Ioan did. From a purely objective standpoint *snicker* I thought he was quite good. I have to take issue with the writing, to an extent, although I wasn't as upset by it as many of the online reviewers I've read. But I did think that Ioan did quite well in the role, with what he was given.

The next one I watched was Very Annie Mary, which is set in Wales -- I was excited to hear Ioan speaking in a Welsh accent, and I was not disappointed, not in that respect. The movie wasn't that great, overall. The writing was pretty silly and see-through. And people just kept doing stupid things. But Ioan played a gay shop-keeper, along with his best friend Matthew Rhys, and they were hilarious. Probably the best part of the whole movie is the scene where they are having singing lessons from Annie Mary, and they rehearse "You Can't Get a Man with a Gun," from Annie Get Your Gun. And ever since then, I keep getting lines stuck in my head in that great Welsh accent: "Ah, poo-r little Bethahn Bevahn" or "He eats twoo full sahndwiches with ehvery mee-al" or "You're sittin' on a gohld mine, lass."

My next Netflix movie is The Englishman Who Went Up a Hill and Came Down a Mountain, with Hugh Grant. I've always liked that film, though I haven't seen it for some time, and I'm curious to see how the accents stack up.

"As he pretended not to see me, I pretended not to see him." (12 points)


The last quote was from Elizabeth Peters's Amelia Peabody series.

No comments: