Monday, April 23, 2007

happy st. george's day!

Yup, today is St. George's feast day. And you may have noticed from the side-bar, we're currently reading a bunch of St. George legends for my Medieval Lit class. Good timing, I'd say.

Here's a little about what's been going on for me lately.

Mormon ... is she, or isn't she?
The other day I mentioned to a girl in my program that I'm Mormon, and she responded, "Don't take this the wrong way, but you seem like a Mormon -- very together, centered." I had to laugh as I told her that, during my first semester here, when I told another girl that I was Mormon, she had exactly the opposite reation: "You don't seem like a Mormon to me." This seemed to mean, that time, that I wasn't pushy about my religion. Exactly opposite reactions, yet I took both of them as a compliment.

BYU baseball
I went to Fort Worth Saturday night to watch BYU baseball against TCU. Unfortunately, BYU didn't score at all that particular night, although we'd won on Thursday and lost, but scored, on Friday. So, the most exciting thing that happened during that particular game was that I got a full paragraph of Wulfstan's Sermo Lupi translated from Old English -- I've been working on it all semester long as part of my final paper for Medieval Lit.

getting up early
Friday night, I slept out on the futon, since both of my roommates were gone, and I just felt like "camping out." Then I slept in really late the next morning. The good news about this is that I woke before my alarm went on Sunday morning -- a sure indication that I'm no longer sleep deprived. So this morning I got up at 6:16 and worked out before coming home to finish homework (and blog). I'm hoping to keep this up until the end of the semester -- I'm much happier and more productive when I get up early and go to bed early.

I'm also much happier when I work out, and even though I haven't been for almost a whole month, I can already see and feel my biceps growing. And I'm really serious about that -- it's not just psychological.

IndieFeed podcast
If you remember, I posted an entry a while ago about the podcasts I subscribe to. At the time, I had only just started subscribing to the IndieFeed Alternative & Modern music station, so I didn't really know whether it was at all good. Well, now I know.

It's great!!

They play all kinds of different music, many of which you can buy on iTunes and many others of which you can only get by visiting the artist website. Naturally, I like some better than others, but it's great to be able to hear what's going on in the music world out there.

One of my favorite songs that I've gotten to know from IndieFeed is "Ikea" by Jonathan Coulter: "Ikea: just some oak and some pine and a handful of Norsemen ... Everyone has a home, and if you don't have a home, you can buy one there." I love it.

If JoCo is not your style, though, they've got lots of other folks on IndieFeed: Mates of State, You Say Party! We Say Die!, Calling All Monsters, Tom Thumb and the Latter Day Saints, Snowden, +/-, The Dead Science ... you name it, they got it. The DJ also usually has some nifty trivia tidbit at the end, which is fun.

quote of the day
In the meantime, I'm still obsessed, although I don't have time to indulge this particular obsession right now.
I bet she's tougher than that -- she runs with vampires. (71 points)

The last quote, which no one guessed, was from a Muse song (shocker!), "Blackout."

4 comments:

elliespen said...

Oh, too easy! New Moon! Love it!

Not only is it St. George's day (which I didn't know) but it is also (probably) Shakespeare's birthday and definitely his deathday. So all sorts of cool stuff going on. :)

Anonymous said...

Although I have not seen my own copy of New Moon since I stupidly introduced my lil sister to it, I read it enough before it was lost to me forever (or until her birthday when I will buy her her own @%#$%# copy) to know that this quote is from that very book. Sigh. I miss Jacob.

Erin

Anonymous said...

I have got to stop forgetting things when I am posting. I love those artists on IndieFeed also! The Ikea song cracked me up. Holy Cow! Snowden is also great, as is Her Majesty. My stupid iTunes spent a whole day downloading all of the available podcasts one day without my permission and suddenly I had over 100 songs to listen to! I haven't decided if that was too much of a good thing. I still haven't finished listening to all of it! Um, right. Moving on...

Erin

kimberly said...

Sweet sassy molassey! I go on vacation and you finally put up a quote I know. And I miss it because I spent Monday at Disneyland.

Alas. No points for me! But I did ride Space Mountain four times, so that should count for something. Right?

In other news - the Ikea song sounds awesome. And, ironically enough, I just went to Ikea yesterday!