Tuesday, April 17, 2007

the small things

I've been majorly stressed out the past week or so, and I keep having to remind myself to not growl at people. I don't remember ever having been this stressed out in my life before. And it's not going to end here -- as my professor has said a number of times, "I thought graduate school was hard. And then I got a job."

But a few things have been going well, too, and I wanted to celebrate them with you.

First, I got to hear "Hold Me Now," by the Thomspon Twins, on the radio today. It made me genuinely smile -- as opposed to all the fake smiles I keep forcing out of myself -- for the first time in I don't know how long. And it also made me realize one of the things I enjoy so much about 80's pop music: even when it's frustrated or unhappy, it's really not that frustrated or unhappy. Much as I enjoy the angsty music of the late 90's and 00's, it's refreshing to hear someone complain in song and still make it snappy.

Also, it's been raining a lot lately, and I've been loving it! I feel almost like Heavenly Father has ordered it just for me, knowing how it would ease the stress I'm already feeling too heavily. It makes homework so much nicer when I can do it sitting in a chair in front of my open window, listening to rain pattering down outside.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, are the comments I received on my abstract for a paper in my Scholarly Writing class. All semester long we've been working on revising the same paper, one that we had already written before the class started. I am working on one about the characterization of King Alfred and King Ethelred in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle, which I wrote for my Old English class last semester. This Scholarly Writing class is one of the most useful and demanding classes I've ever had -- after about three weeks, I began to sneer at my paper rather than looking at it, feeling certain that I and my mediocre writing abilities would never be able to shape it into anything remotely resembling the level of writing I will need to build a career in academics. But when I took a look yesterday at my professor's comments on the abstract I turned in a week ago, she had written at the bottom that she thought I should send it in someplace. I had to re-read the sentence a couple of times before it sunk in: "She thinks this is good enough that I could actually send it in to a conference!" It gave me warm fuzzies all down my spine for a good 15 minutes!
The preacher lights the coals -- he knows I'm gonna stay. (12 points)

The last two quotes were from, first, Muse's "Apocalypse Please," and second, the Platters hit "Twilight Time." (Ha, ha! Get it? Twilight time!)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your paper. Your tiresome work has not gone unappreciated.

Go Ethelred!

Margo

kimberly said...

Hurrah! You're working on a paper worth publishing! That's most excellent news.

And Ethelred is such a fun name to say. I think I must name an inanimate object Ethelred.

Anonymous said...

HEY! Good for you! I'm completely jealous. I have done very little worthwhile academically for professionally in months. Soon... soon. :)

Erin

Anonymous said...

Oh, trash, I forgot. That quote is The Mamas and the Papas, California Dreamin'.
Erin

Janeheiress said...

"California Dreamin'"! The Mamas and the Papas! Yes, I got one (It would only be 12 points, though).

I'm sorry you're having such a rough time. That's great about the paper, though. Good luck!

Melanie

Anonymous said...

Kimberly,

After months of searching for an appropriate name, Kat's reading of medievel kings last semester found the name for my car: Ethelred.

I highly recommend naming an inanimate object Ethelred.

Margo

kimberly said...

Margo -

You named your car Ethelred! Ha. That's awesome!

At the moment, it looks like my brand new car will be named Bertie. After Bertie Wooster, of course! But I'll be keeping Ethelred on the list o' names for inanimate objects.