Wednesday, January 12, 2005

dvd-o-rama

So lately, I've been watching lots of DVDs. I didn't realize this until just today. But in the last week, I have watched several hours worth of Danger Mouse, 13 Going On 30, Emma, The Four Feathers, Zoolander (not worth it), and ... well, the last one I'm going to leave for my daily quote, so read on! And then today I got my Christmas package from the Pehrsons (thanks!), which included two DVDs of Jack Benny television programs. Yay! You know, for being such a fan of Jack Benny's, it might come as rather a shock that I have never, ever seen one of his TV shows. So thanks a ton, Paul and Christina, for this brand new experience! :D

Oh, and as if all this were not enough, I am planning to go watch Phantom of the Opera again with a friend who hasn't seen it yet. Movies galore.

On the academic side of life, things are getting better. I started reading my first CDA textbook today, and although I still think it's a woolly area, I'm more at ease with the idea of studying it for three months. Happily, after that, I can turn back to traditional stylistics (which I enjoy much more) and not worry about CDA ever again, if I don't want to. Although I suspect I will, but probably not for the reasons that Ruth Wodak would want me to.

All right, the 'daily' quote: "If there's one thing I know, it's not to mess with Mother Nature, mother-in-laws, or mother freakin' Ukrainians."

2 comments:

Paul P said...

You're welcome for the package. Too bad it didn't get there in time for your Jack Benny paper.

The quote is from one of my favorite movies: The Italian Job, and it's the character Skinny Pete.

Yay for good movies.

My favorite quote from The Italian Job, however, is when they are staking out Steve's house and Left Ear (who is mostly deaf in his right ear) sees Steve's dogs:

Left Ear: He got dogs, I don't do dogs...I had a bad experience.
Charlie Croker: What happened?
Left Ear: I had a bad experience, man... I'M deaf!

Anonymous said...

The Italian Job! Man, I want one of those cars!
Kimberly