Tuesday, January 4, 2005

two down, one to go

Congratulate me! Tonight I finished my second assignment, this one for pragmatics. (Well, I'm almost done, that is -- I still have to look up a few references in the library and tweak my conclusion.) That means I only have one more to write, about corpus linguistics. I'm really dreading that one, as I feel like I have very little to say. However, these past two papers have made me feel like 5,000 words was very little, so maybe it won't be so bad.

So, yay!! I'm feeling rather accomplished now.

Oh, and one more quick quote for you. This one is worth 50 points, as I doubt that any of you will know it, but we'll see ... OK, here goes: "I know many things, for I walk by night. I know many strange tales hidden in the hearts of men and women who have stepped into the shadows. Yes, I know the nameless terrors of which they dare not speak."

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I just had to delurk for this one--"The Whistler". It's my third favorite opening after "The Shadow" and "Lights Out."
Donovan

KatrinaW said...

Wow, you've all been outdone by a total stranger, folks! :) Well done, Donovan.

'The Whistler' is probably my very favorite show opening, as far as style goes. Although I do enjoy hearing "J-E-L-L--OOOO!", "Another cup of Maxwell House Coffee, George?", and "Good health to all from Rexall!" -- but only because I get so excited about what's coming next. Ahh, OTR ... in a class by itself.

P.S. Another 10 points each for the other show openings I just quoted! ;)

Anonymous said...

Hey Kat!

The coffee opening is the Burns and Allen Show. That's some good stuff, that is.

Now I'm curious about the other ones, I'll have to go a-hunting. :)

Erin

Paul P said...

Maxwell House Coffee Time—starring George Burns & Gracie Allen—as originally heard over NBC Radio.

Paul P said...

The 'Rexall' one comes from "The Phil Harris-Alice Faye Show"

Paul P said...

For the J-E-L-L-OOOOOO! one, are you looking for the opening to the Alvin Show?

KatrinaW said...

Nooo, not the Alvin Show. I was afraid of this happening, though. See, the problem is that Jell-O sponsored several different programs through the years. The show I was referring to had several different sponsors, too, but the Jell-O years are my favorites. So, here's a hint about their longest-running sponsor. I won't tell you the sponsors name, but their commercials included the following:

"So round, so firm, so fully packed, so free and easy on the draw."

"SOLD! To American!"

"Be happy go lucky!"

Anonymous said...

Dennis, Mary, Don and I were going to answer but my Maxwell ran over Phil's secret stash of "medicine bottles" and got a flat tire, so Rochester and I spent all day looking for a gas station that doesn't charge 25 cents for air.

Donovan

KatrinaW said...

I'll accept that. :)

Anyone else that wants to actuall throw the title out there only gets 5 points now that Donovan's given away that many clues.

Anonymous said...

An uneduacted guess, but is it the Jack Benny Show? I only ask because that's what you just did your paper on. :) I don't know if guessing like that is worth a valuable 5 points!

Erin