Saturday, January 29, 2005

"wouldn't it be loverly?"

Name that quote for 10 points.

I chose that for my title because of the bee-yutiful weather today here in Lancaster. It's partly cloudy, and the temperature's been around 46 F (8 C). Now, that may not sound so wonderful to most of you, but for here in cloudy, cold, windy Lancaster, this is gorgeous! In fact, it's just perfect for me. OK, so I wouldn't temperatures a little higher -- maybe up to about 60 F -- but this is just how I like things. Unfortunately, it's not supposed to stay too long. The next week is supposed to be relatively warm, but cloudy most days as well.

I'm feeling productive today, because I went to the library. I was probably there for a whole half hour, even! :) I photocopied some journal articles I've been planning to read, about Critical Discourse Analysis (CDA). They're a series of critiques by non-CDA scholars, and the responses from CDA scholars. I've been wanting to see what other scholars have had to criticize about CDA, and it should be interesting reading.

I also got some books about Orson Welles from the library. The last few days, I've been working on transcribing an episode of the Jack Benny radio show, an episode with Orson Welles as guest star. It's been getting me interested in Welles again, and I also wanted to look at some biographies to make sure that some of the things I want to say about him are backed up. Orson Welles was a very interesting man, and I have quite mixed reactions to him. My very least favorite film adaptation of Jane Eyre is the one with Orson Welles as Mr. Rochester, from 1944. But I digress -- all of this Orson Welles stuff is for a different day, preferrably after I've looked over the two books I got.

But what I really am excited about is the DVD I got from the library, The Third Man, which Welles starred in in 1949. I remember this film from when I was very little. It's one of the few movies my Dad has ever bought, and I remember watching it as a family once when I was pretty young. I've always loved the theme music from it, especially the Anton Karas version, and I seem to remember enjoying the film too. It's been a long time, though, so I don't really remember it too well, but I'm looking forward to watching it. As soon as I'm finished with it, in a few days, I plan to get Citizen Kane, which I've never seen before -- I figure it's about time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My Fair Lady. I ADORE that movie.
Erin

Anonymous said...

My Fair Lady - hate the movie, love the song
Kimberly