Thursday, January 13, 2005

phantom of the opera ... again

Yeah, it's just as good the second time.

A friend of mine hadn't seen it yet, and I certainly raised no objections to accompanying her, despite having seen it once already. So we went tonight. It's just fantastic. Can I say that again? It's fantastic!!

Patrick Wilson is perfect as Raoul, Gerard Butler is perfect as the Phantom, and Emmy Rossum is perfect as Christine. Minnie Driver is hilarious as Carlotta (although she doesn't sing for herself -- surprise! -- which everyone else does). Honestly, my only complaints are these: First, Emmy Rossum doesn't quite do justice to the high notes on a few songs, notably "Think of Me" and "Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again"; second, the chandelier falls in the wrong place -- plot-wise, not physically.

And I would also like to state here that I believe the height of men's fashion occurred right around 1850 - 1860. In my opinion, there is no fashion of any other time that is quite so becoming to a man. Similarly, there is nothing so sexy as a cloak or greatcoat in the hands (or, preferrably, around the shoulders) of a man who knows how to use it. However, let me also state quite plainly that, while I find these fashions most satisfactory in the proper context, that context is clearly not nowadays. Most people who try to get away with this stuff in the modern era are usually, well, kind of creepy. Or just plain weird.

OK, today's quote. Oh, and before I forget, I didn't assign a point value for yesterday's, so I'll have to say that it's the default of 10. As is today's.

"Why, you speak treason."
"Fluently!"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm all over this one. That is so Robin Hood. Remember that one we watched it at my place in black and white? That was pretty awesome! :)

Erin

Paul P said...

Did anybody else find it significant that Katrina's obsession has changed from Harry Potter? It is now listed as "Phantom of the Opera!"

This is a big step, Katrina. Congratulations.

KatrinaW said...

Thank you, Paul, I appreciate your concern and support. :)

However, don't get too excited. I assure you, the Phantom obsession will not last long -- a few days at most, I suspect -- and then I will move on to something else. But yeah, the HP obsession has died down for now.

Paul P said...

Okay, so I was just teasing you. It turns out that HP was only listed as the current obsession since the beginning of January.

However, I guess that in the months leading up to the release of book 5 in print and book 4 in the theater that the obsession might return....

<shameless plug>
Christina has started a blog. It can be found at http://christinasmusings.blogspot.com.
</shameless plug>