Friday, January 21, 2005

Jack Benny link

I was checking out the website of the International Jack Benny Fan Club (of which I am a member!) today, and they had a link to Yuks television, where there are clips from four of the greatest classic comedians of American entertainment. For those of you who have never experienced the wonder of Jack Benny, George Burns and Gracie Allen, or Groucho Marx, I highly recommend that you use this link. (Red Skelton is also in there in a classic role as Freddie the Freeloader, but not nearly as funny.)

Today's quote, for 10 points: "I would be quiet if he liked, and as to talking rationally, I flattered myself I was doing that now." And just for good measure, one more (from a different source), for 20 points: "What's a Chinese urn?" "Depends how long he works!"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

First, Jane Eyre. I'm reading that book again currently, so I'm all over that one. As to the other one, I think I need to spend more time with Old School Comedians. I'm missing a lots of points because I don't know them well enough!!

Erin

Anonymous said...

I've always been struck by the ease with which Jack made the transition from radio to television (see The Fibber McGee and Molly Show for an example of utter failure). I attribute this to two things: the fact that Jack's supporting cast was the best bar none and the fact that, after spending decades honing and refining his character, Jack could be put into almost any situation and make it funny.
I got Jane Eyre as well, but I'm drawing a blank on the second. As penance, I offer one of my own from my favorite radio comedy duo--"Well, Parnell...what you have here is garbage."
If anyone gets it you can knock 10 points off my score.
Donovan

KatrinaW said...

I agree about Jack -- although I hadn't seen his TV show until quite recently, it has always amazed me that he did so well with the trasition. There's really only a handful of artists who were able to do that at all -- Burns and Allen, and Jack Webb (Dragnet) among them.

For the record, I really didn't expect anyone to get that second quote, and would have been really surprised if anyone had known it. It's from an episode of the Phil Harris - Alice Faye radio show, one of my three favorites (along with Burns & Allen and Jack Benny, of course). Phil was always doing those terrible, punny sorts of jokes on the Benny program, and he kept it up on his own show. For anyone who hasn't heard the Harris - Faye show, I'm among a growing contingent of OTR fans who claim that the writing on that show was among the best (if not THE best) in all of radio comedy. It's hilarious, and Elliott Lewis, Phil Harris, and Alice Faye all display marvellous comedic timing and a great comedic chemistry as well. I wish I could offer you some shows.