Friday, January 14, 2005

more phantom-ness

Today's quote is one that I couldn't help thinking about when I watching The Phantom of the Opera yesterday. It wasn't quite appropriate at that point in the movie, and I had to stifle laughter. It happened during the reprise of All I Ask of You, when the Phantom realizes that Christine is in love with Raoul, and he's sitting there singing and crying. It's one of my favorite parts of the musical, actually. Anyway, I couldn't help but think, "Is that a tear? How do you people do it? Did you pinch yourself? Or are you thinking right now, 'My dog is dead.'" (20 points, just because it's so durn funny, and you deserve it if you know this quote)

I've also been ruminating on my attraction to the story of The Phantom of the Opera. It's such a dark story, but I truly love it. I'm not just talking about the musical -- that I love primarily because of the music. But the actual story, completely apart from the musical, I also just love. The novel manages to make me bawl like a baby every time I read it, and that's not too common for me. The story touches something in me that nothing else has ever managed to quite get at. What is that something? Any thoughts out there?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Kat, you have the best quotes. The Man Who Knew Too Little, and dang was that a funny movie! "Time out! Time out! I got something in my eye!"

Erin